Exclamation Fastline Guide For New Riders

We're really looking forward to seeing a lot of our old friends this season, but even more important....we're very excited about the opportunity to introduce a new crop of riders to the track.

There have been tons of books and articles written about track riding, but most everyone comes away from their first "noob" track experience with a little different perspective. Knowing that reading "riding advice" here on the forum doesn't compare to actually experiencing it live on the track......what would you pass along to a track noob as the most important tip to help their first time be successful? Be funny, be serious, just don't lead 'em too far astray.

1. Once I learned to start looking a little further down the track, into and through the next turn, and focusing on where I wanted to want to go instead of where I was at the moment, I picked up a lot of corner speed.

2. Don't worry about trying to be fast. Use that time getting comfortable on your bike and trying to be smooth on the throttle/brakes. You're not going to impress anybody by flying down the straights and parking it in the corner.

3. Getting set up early for a corner helps keep a rider relaxed and in control. Adjust your body position well in advance of the turn; as a newer rider, you can often be in the correct body position for the turn before you reach your brake marker.

4. And speaking of markers, or reference points on the track, they are key to riding with consistency and will help to make you faster. Braking reference points in combination with turn in reference points are a great place to start. Reference points aren't necessary for every turn. A suggestion for choosing reference points is to prioritize reference points for fast straights leading to slow turns first.

5. don't worry about destroying kneepucks or tires, or how far you can lean in the corners. but try to feel the rhythm of the track and to be accurate and smooth with your lines

6. Stay in your lower gears...2nd 3rd and 4th, very high revs...you'll see the need for ear plugs very quickly. Although you're at highway speeds...don't ride like you're just cruising on the highway in 6th gear. This was my biggest lesson learned after my first noob day of riding MSRH in 5th and 6th gear all day and getting smoked coming out of the corners.

7. Being able to relax is one of the most important skills learned by experienced trackday riders and racers. This is often overlooked by freshmen riders, and is a key element to not only progressing and honing your skills, but also to enjoying your day. Remember to breathe. I find that humming or singing a song to myself forces me to breathe, and also helps me to find my rhythm. It makes me relax, and loosen my grip. Chewing gum also helps. Breathe in through your nose, and exhale through your mouth. Repeat all day long!

8. Get on the balls of your feet, put the weight on the pegs.

9. Breathe and relax (See #7 above) to avoid “survival reactions” such as gripping the bars too tight.

10. If you try really hard to ride smoothly and safely and you also happen to be fast.....great! If you try really hard to be fast and it turns out you are NOT smooth or safe.....you won't have nearly as much fun. Or worse, you could really screw up your day...or someone else's.

11. Always treat your first lap or two as a warm up lap whether your coming off warmers or not.

12. Keep your elbows bent. Never keep your arms locked. You want to have minimal input into the bars if at all.

13. Under hard acceleration grip the bike with your legs and even your elbows on the tank, not a death grip on the bars.

14. Give yourself enough time to slow the bike down for the turn comfortably. Its better to come in slow and fast out then come in too hot and screw your line up for the turn and even the next few turns in some cases. If your scaring yourself out there than slow it down a bit. Your not going to learn anything by scaring yourself.

15. Pressures, Pressures, Pressures! Always check your air pressures. Its one of the most important things to remember. Check you pressures every time you come in and every time you go out.

16. Don't feel like you have to ride every session. You will be surprised how physical track riding can be and you will have sore muscles, the next day, that you didn't know you had. When you start to notice you are making little mistakes that you weren't making earlier, it is time to rest.

17. Drink water or Gatorade constantly. In the summer heat, wearing full leathers while working your body, you will sweat alot. It is easy to become dehydrated before you realize, which leads to fatigue and mistakes.
    The rule of thumb is; If you don't need to pee, right now, you need to drink more.

18. To build on what somebody else said, don't think of it as a "racetrack". On a trackday it is just a twisty road that loops back on itself. A road without guardrails, trees, ditches, or bread trucks. Just relax and have fun. Being fast comes later.

19. Pavement irregularities (discoloration, etc.) can be disconcerting, but at the same can be very useful as reference points. If the opportunity exists to do a "track walk" or "track drive" at the start of the day....do it. At least use the initial "round robin" session to scan those spots at a slower pace, then use what you've learned in the later sessions.

20. Eat an appropriate meal the night before...not too heavy, and don't take a chance on something that might disagree with your system and leave you miserable the next day. Have some breakfast the morning of, and keep some energy bars and other snacks handy to keep your energy level up during the day.

21. DON'T CRASH! Have Fun!

email
    tim@fastlinemcs.com

Trackday Registration
    www.fastlinemcs.com

Bridgestone~Pirelli Tires
    South Central Race Center www.scracecenter.com

P1 Racing

Amsoil Lubricants

Great info!
    Internuts

The phenomenon that occurs when someone becomes a badass when addressing others on a message board. It is a common practice for the reticent, meek, and cowardly to make bold statements on the Internet, knowing there is no way to be held accountable.

this is good stuff